Friday, April 12, 2013

Chaos

Today I have been enjoying a relaxing day, a day not plagued with pressures and deadlines or with the thoughts of what my wife might think if she comes home and finds me still in my pyjamas. My morning has been blissful, relaxing with God, reading His word, learning more about Him and it hit me, in the chaos of my life I tend to avoid the bliss of relaxation. 
This has been the state of my desk for the past few weeks. It could be because I am messy (as my wife would say). I say it is because I am so busy that I have not had time to clean and I have not seen the point since I have been using these books forever!

Our world, our society, does not value relaxation. We need to constantly be busy, doing 'stuff' working towards a goal, striving for a new endeavours. Somehow if we are not working towards bettering our society or our own lives through work than we are not doing what God has intended. Where did this idea come from? When did this happen?

I have been busy this semester, 6 courses, newly-wed  church work, it began to take over and today I took a break, relaxing on my own and you know? I have felt closer to God than at any point in my 'busyness'

Are we striving for growth with God or growth in our personal and professional lives? Is our goal to be more like Christ by filling our schedules to the brim? When did more work become the desire of our hearts?


1 comment:

  1. I like reading this post after reading the next posts.
    Perhaps the church can learn from you and Saint John.
    Retreat, relax, regroup, renew, refocus, restart.

    ~ JLevy

    ReplyDelete