Tuesday, February 4, 2014

...a place I never thought I'd be.

It may be February but I am an excellent procrastinator and as such I am just now getting around to reflecting on the last year. I experienced a lot in 2013, most of which I never expected to experience. If you had told me a few years ago I would have been hiking in the Bulgarian mountains looking for the home of a Bulgarian Orthodox Saint who died nearly 1100 years ago I would have asked you "What's Bulgaria?"

In May I was doing just that. Saint John of Rila lived in 900AD and he retreated to the Rila mountains, living in the caves after accepting the life of a monk. He dedicated his life to serving God, to seeking after him and retreating from the pressures and difficulties of the sinful world. John was so dedicated to the Lord that people sought after him. He was a sense of peace in difficult times. People came to him, to be blessed by him, to be prayed for by him and healed. He gave his life for others but was humble and avoided situations which might cause vanity. (Such as denying a visit by the Tsar of the time and gifts of gold from the man stating that they needed to be given to the poor [says the man living in a cave])

The picture above are letters from people who drive hours, hike miles, and write their prayers down in hopes of them being answered. They also drink from a stream of water in hopes that the ground remains holy and holds the healing properties necessary to heal them and answer prayers. They take it even further to keep Saint John's body in a nearby monastery to be kissed and pray to him.

The Bulgarian people have put a lot of faith in this one man, depending on him for the answers to their prayers. They see him as much more than a man, but a saint who has brought favour from God to the people of Bulgaria.

.... But it makes me wonder, how dedicated am I to God? Am I Saint John of Rila dedicated?
And
What will I be  remembered for and as in 1000 years? What legacy am I leaving? Will I be remembered for my faith, love, and dedication to God as John was?

1 comment:

  1. Here's hoping!
    But here's hoping no one kisses your dead body 1000 years later.
    Yukky....

    ~ JLevy

    ReplyDelete