Tuesday, April 9, 2013

"No Scooting in the Sanctuary"

Throughout my education (and even now as I continue it) I have been taught (all to many times, in nearly every youth ministry class) that we, as youth workers, need to keep culturally and socially aware of what our youth are dealing with. This means no only looking at media and music but at fads as well. I feel like this is the hardest thing to keep caught up on, like last week I found myself in shock by the latest fad....

Scooters!

Like, the nerdy thing that people who couldn't ride skateboards used to ride around on. The things that were silver with a handle. They are no longer just silver with a handle. Two of the youth showed up on Wednesday with scooters, they were 'tricked out' with the latest deck, the cool design, wheels, everything was custom. One of them even had pegs on the wheels!? That means they are doing tricks on these scooters!? Really!? This would have been unheard of 5 years ago.

Not only are these scooters custom but they are expensive! I just decided to do a quick google search and the first site I looked at had is $330 (I HOPE that is not the price my youth paid!)
http://www.jibsactionsports.com/index.php/pro-scooters/complete-scooters/lucky-strata-pro-scooter.html

I am opening myself to a whole new world here and it excites me, but it meant we had to implement a new rule at youth group: "No Scooting in the Sanctuary"

Now our church is not one to see the building as sacred or worry about the sanctuary or walls or care about such things. We haven't had rules at youth group (other than to show respect), but with such a 'cool' new toy with a limited supply for the number of youth, as well as the damage that tricks and flying metal pieces might do to the building but also the other youth we have told the youth..... "No Scooting in the Sanctuary". 

Imagine- I never would have thought.... what is next? I am excited to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment